Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day Fifty-Six: Melbourne @ 4am

What were we thinking when we booked our flight at 7am?!!!! Obviously we didn't think about wake up time =(

We all got up at 4am and left the house at 5:10am to catch our train to the airport....I was having headache already..bad start =(

JetStar airline:
Nice seats neh :D
We arrived around 9:30 am @ Avalon airport. As we were landing, I looked out the window, and I saw sheep along the runway munching grass. I wondered...where am I? Stepping into the terminal...I swear my house is bigger than that. Avalon is a very interesting airport to say the least....small and cute...middle of nowhere...with sheep. Nonetheless, I arrived safe but still with a headache.

My hostel: The Nomads
It looked pretty decent. I lived with 7 girls in a room with 4 bunk beds. The beds squeaked like no other..so annoying. The bathrooms and the showers are separated and everything seem to be mini-sized. I guess I paid for what I get, although I would never live in another hostel any more, not after this one. =) So yeah..my first and last experience of a hostel.

We were suppose to meet our group at 3pm..so we had some time to kill. We went to the Queen Victoria Market:
This market dwarfs any market in Sydney. It is HUMONGOUS!!! It sells anything from a boomerang, to postcards, to shirts, to shoes, to kangaroo skins, to handmade soap, to mini cacti, to lip balm, to fruits, to dry foods, to livestocks, to candies....just about anything you want for souvenirs.

I had to post this picture, because it says American on it =)
This candy store makes the most delicious and fun candy ever. All their candies are handmade and some even have writings in them....like Thank you, It is a Girl, and I love you.
They are making a banana flavored rock candy with banana designs in the middle (the white stuff are the banana designs, they are wrapping them in a colored coating).
All rolled up
And then he pulls...
Tahda~~~~end product..delicious!!!
Check out their website, http://www.suga.com.au/, it is quite entertaining!

Then we toured the alleys of Melbourne..where the true culture lies...
Often it is hidden in these allies that you get to experience what Melbourne is all about. These are the places where only locals will know. We happened to stop in this one:
Madame Brussels. As described by one of my study australia people: plush and slightly naughty, this bar is named after a brothel keeper. Expect indoor fake grass, an outdoor terrace and a hostess called Miss Pearls. They have the most refreshing drinks ever:

A mix of citrus fruits with a hint of peppermint ♥

We concluded the day with a dinner at a traditional Chinese dumpling restaurant. It was really nice and homelike for me. This trip already looked better =)

First impression of Melbourne....it is a place to relax, if you want to work go to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment