Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day Thirty Five: Sydney Symphony

Since I was soooooooooooooooo disappointed at my last experience of the Opera House. I decided that I need another one, so the day has come.

Time: Friday, March 27, 2010 8pm
Venue: Concert Hall, Opera House
Who: Amy and Kelsey
Attire: Dressed up

I saw the advertisement on campus, and it said they are going to play something by Beethoven. You can't really go wrong with Beethoven's work. Anything with Beethoven is bound to be a grand time *beams*=)

This time it is at the Concert Hall. Our orientation leader told us that if we are going to see a show at the Opera House and is concerned with budget, then we should spend the money on a show in the Concert Hall, the main hall at the Opera House. And it is true...we saw why. We got our $100 worth back =)
Notice, the angle I took this picture from.
Yeap!!! Dead center. Kelsey and I sat next to each other, but on our tickets, we had different entrance numbers because we had to enter on the opposite sides to meet in the middle.

We weren't really suppose to take pictures in the hall. Our usher even warned us that they shoot people who take photography in there..heh heh. He was a funny man. But, I was being nice already. You should see some people..taking pictures with flash...way to be conspicuous >.<". There was one person who even took picture with flash when the symphony was playing, I think he/she got some death glares. *tsk tsk*

Okay the performance titled: The Creative Spirit.

1. Ludwig Van Beethoven: The Creatures of Prometheus: Overture. I am so jealous of the violinists in this one. I think there were maybe 15 of them. During a part of the song, it was straight sixteen notes, and man they are together!!! Every beat, every count. So clean and precise. That is what professional musicians do..precisions.

2. Robert Schumann: Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129 There is a guest cello performer. The piece was about 30 minutes. He memorized the whole thing!!! Not only did he memorized but he also played with elegance, which can be hard to do when under the pressure of "did I remember the notes"..you know. And the rubato....ahh I love =)

3. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, Pathetique Tachaikovsky is an interesting musician, and this piece is very musically and emotionally intriguing, which I will leave you to explore on Youtube.

Professional, dramatic, and awing! that is all I can say =)

You can hear everybody so so so clearly...even it was just a one flute. Being a flutist myself I know that a lot of times, when everybody is blowing into their horns, we are the first ones to be buried, but not these flutists. You can hear them crisp and clean among the strings and low brass. Not just the flutes actually, you can hear every single one of them individually and as well as a whole.

The sound boards are worth mentioning!!! It is excellent!!! Never been to a hall that gives just the right resonance. Not a second too long nor too short. It just ends the music on a good note and makes you wonder a bit as the sound travels through air and disappears into the wall.

You know, this is my kind of night. I am not much of a club, bar drinking person. I am a little dull..books, music, band concerts are more my things. So I really enjoyed the night, and I am glad that I actually had someone to accompany me this time =)

More pictures around the area...but at night this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment