Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day Twenty-one: Hunter Valley Wine Tasting

That is right! Me...wine tasting ;)

Hunter Valley is the home of the vineyards. There were just rows after rows of vineyards. Australians are actually very proud of their winery. They take high prides in your wine, as they often will tell you that they got worldwide awards every year (although some French men would disagree).
The first winery that we stopped by was the Lindeman's. It is the official supplier of the Olympics Games back in the days. It produces wine on an industrial scale...thousands and thousands of barrels every year. And its wine has been showcased in exhibitions worldwide. Its chardonnay has won many titles.

I tasted 5 different wines here. The worst one has to be the Shiraz. Absolutely horrible..nasty...and unpleasant. Here is the list: Moscato, Porphyry Rouge, Shiraz, Semillion, and some Chardonnay. I like the first two =)
I saw this quote on the wall and thought some of you might appreciate it:

Next is the McGuigan Winery.
Walking through the cellar
The German exchange students. I actually had a good conversation with the girl in the red to the left. She is a very hardworking student. She was telling me that Germans used to have a very intense university education as they didn't have a bachelor program, and when students are done with college, they earn what is equivalent to a master in the states. It is only recently that it has changed. She also have a clear vision of her future...so inspiring..really!!
Someone I met on the trip:
I tasted eight different wines here. I enjoyed most of the wines here actually. Different wines go with different food. Wine can really enhance a meal if you choose right. I personally like the dessert wines here. I have lost the sheet that has all the wines I have tasted, so...no list, sorry =(. But I do remember that it is at this place that I had the highest alcohol content all day..at about 18%.

Our last wine tasting experience is at a place called Golden Grape:
My group :)
I didn't quite enjoy this winery. We got plastic little cups, and the server was like in a hurry to get done, which I feel defeats the purpose of wine tasting. But anyhow, of all the selections I had there, there is one that deserve special attention:
This one, my friends, burns you. The server actually asked us to wait until everyone has gotten their drink, and take it as a shot on 3. When I gulped it down, it felt like I was drinking a cup of hot chili oil. It burned from my throat to my stomach and back up, killing every germ that lined my esophagus. It was absolutely shocking and awakening as well. The taste just lingered around forever. Rinsing my mouth didn't work at all. It was indeed: Dragon's Breath. I was on fire!!

After that hot wine, we headed off to a pub in the country side. Hunter valley really gives you a taste of what country life is like in Australia. It was very quiet, green, and simple. Everything I would ask for when I retire. I would totally retire here if that was ever a choice :) So the pub, it was middle of nowhere. It was surrounded by grass fields and next to the highway. I have heard that it is the only pub around the area. People come here to have "Jungle Juice".

Jungle juice is a mix of wine and brandy. I didn't like it...It tasted very much like the Shiraz that I mentioned before. One word.....bad...enough said.
The pub had a really cool backyard...nothing like a pub in the city. It is more of a hanging out place for the locals. People bring their kids and pets here..hehe

At this point, my trip was about to conclude. I tasted 21 different wines and surprisingly, I didn't feel tipsy at all. And you know what, I am kind of curious of my alcohol tolerance level. I would love to test it out and see where I fall, but of course, it has to be within my comfort zone ;). I wonder sometimes.

Group picture:
oh did I mention, the weather was great!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't test your limit when I'm not around yeah.... Hehe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures in warm weather. But you know the german student was right. Thank god I'm not from germany.
    mimi
    wine tours hunter valley

    ReplyDelete