Monday, March 1, 2010

Day One: Getting Here

That was the longest 17 hours of my life!! Most of the time I was sleeping, but it wasn't like a deep sleep though. There was a period of time where I looked at my watch every 5 minutes. I was getting quite antsy =P.

Besides from the long hours, this was one of the most dissatisfied plane rides that I have ever experienced. First, during the meal time, the flight attendant mistaken me with someone else and brought me something I totally didn't order. When I wanted to tell her, she just walked away and off to serve others. So I was like at least give me a chance to decide what kind of disgusting plane food I want. Then came the second bad service when I asked for orange juice. The guy gave me 1/3 of cup of orange juice because that was all it was left in that carton...so I was basically dying of thirst. I totally gave up and went back to sleep..waking up here and there though.

About 12 hours in flight, I saw this outside my window


Then comes the breakfast

They actually served banana bread, the only thing that tasted somewhat decent. The aroma of it reminded me of Wenni and Cindy's bakings. Already I was thinking of Des Moines.

I reached Sydney at 8:10am, bright and sunny. I waited about six hours before I moved into my hotel, Meriton World Tower. It is the tallest residential building in Sydney. It is a five-star hotel. I happened to come to Sydney during one of its busiest weekends(due to Chinese New Year, the Mardi Gras, AC&DC concert, etc), there weren't a single hotel room available in Sydney. My room was actually rented out the night before I reached, and people were paying $2000+ for it. When you see my room you will know why. But still..WOW!


There are two things that by its own nature and nothing else attract us very much so without any explanation...they just do. Lights and heights. When we, humans, see excessive lights we go "oooooooo", and when we experience great heights, we go "aaaaaaaahh". I had one of those "aaaaaahh" moments at my hotel.


I stayed on the 64th floor with Sydney underneath.

I concluded my first night at Sydney with a dinner at a restaurant by the Darling Harbour called Blackbird.


I had cornfed chicken breast. They actually served potato wedges with CHILI SAUCE here. And to the Malaysians out there, it actually tasted very good =). (I think my habit of fries with ketchup is changing XD)

Cheers and later.

3 comments:

  1. haha.. good to know that you miss our baking lolz...
    Chili sauce! don't worry.. there's substitutes of ketchup in Des Moines..haha...
    Have fun in OZ =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...and you know what is even more interesting here. We had a picnic during one of our city tours and our orientation leader provided us cold turkey sandwich. As they were handing those out, they also handed us Thai chili sauce (with a really really nifty package). I mean really??? Turkey sandwich with Thai chili sauce?!!! What happen to mayonnaise? But I guess it is the norm here. I tried it, not a bad combination. =)

    ReplyDelete